Sleep (deprived)

According to Wikipedia:
Sleep is a naturally recurring state characterized by reduced or absent consciousness, relatively suspended sensory activity, and inactivity of nearly all voluntary muscles.[1] It is distinguished from quiet wakefulness by a decreased ability to react to stimuli, and is more easily reversible than being in hibernation or a coma. Sleep is a heightened anabolic state, accentuating the growth and rejuvenation of the immune, nervous, skeletal and muscular systems. It is observed in all mammals, all birds, and many reptiles, amphibians, and fish.

According to Brenda:
Sleep is a mythical creature people who do not have children tell stories about, much like unicorns and bigfoot.  A joke children play on mothers, where they lay down and close their eyes just until their mother is ready to lay down and go to sleep, then they start crying that very instant.

I'm pretty sure I have not had a complete, uninterrupted night of sleep in 3+ years.  And I'm really feeling it this pregnancy.  When I was pregnant with Cherry, Abby and Zoey were still napping regularly, so I got quick naps during the day, which helped a lot.  These days, it is a miracle if they take a nap, and even more rare if they take a nap at the same time as Cherry, so no breaks for me during the day.  It makes for very very long days.  They typically wake up around 5:30 or 6 on a good day, and they are non stop until about 8pm.  Add having to wake up with Cherry 2 to 3 times a night = a very tired and very grumpy mommy.  My patience has reached 0 (which I hate, because I've always thought myself to be a pretty patient mom).  The way I see it, I'll be able to sleep a whole night in about 5 years, because the chances this baby is going to sleep any better than the rest of my kids is slim.  So if I forget your name or my own, I'm not going senile in my 20s, I'm just unbelievably tired. 


No comments:

Post a Comment